Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tables are on the horizon.

We have a four-day weekend coming up. With Columbus Day this weekend, my normal weekend gets doubled. No work at the machine shop on Friday. No school Monday.

My plan is to build a table.

One weekend. At kitchen table 60" x 30", White Ash with a Paduak or Bloodwood strip down the top.

This has all the elements of a bad idea. I'll explain....
While there are 96 hours available to me, we'll half that seeing that it's not particularly plausible to think that I'll work 96 hours straight. Therefore, I have 48 hours to make this thing.
I am also not a very skilled woodworker. I am a hard worker, which does not translate to skill.

So, this could be interesting.

Some of the things I have working in my favor are:
I have this thing all planned out, design-wise. Parts list is simple; one top, four rails, four legs. Bam!
I am not getting uber-fancy. There won't be a lot of garish design features and extravagance. Just a simple table.
Bam!

Scheduling will be very important. This is what I am thinking...

Friday = Buy wood. Mill wood. Glue legs up. Cut up top. Tongue and Groove the pieces for top.
Saturday = Glue up top. Cut rail pieces. Make rail joints (I don't know what the joints are called that I am using). Glue rails together. Biscuit joint rails and top for gluing.
Sunday = Taper legs. Cut leg/rail joints. Sand everything.
Monday = Overflow day, and believe me, there will be work overflow.

I think that I am digging my grave pretty deep on this one. If I can say one thing about myself is that I am pretty good at that.

But I am as excited as I am scared about this prospect.
I will take some photos of the process, with time/date cards, in order to track my progress.
Every time I make something I want to take a series of photos to show the evolution of my parts. I think this is a perfect time to do this.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.

1 comment:

Lindsay Rose said...

what sparked your desire to build a table!?! Awesome though! Don't cut off any fingers!