Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Power of a Rat-Hair Pillow

I just finished my Editing midterm.
And my teacher, Sandy Marsters, is a genius of imagery.

The test was an editing exercise that we have to copy-edit, which means we have to look for errors and mistakes. These mistakes can range from spelling mistakes, incorrect verb usage, to proper usage of suspensive hyphenation (which is my new favorite grammatical thing).

As you are trying to find all the errors in an absolute abomination of a hard news story, Sandy throws in a fictitious direct quote such as the following, about a woman that ate at a restaurant where rat hair has been found in the salad bar;
     "I've eaten from that salad bar many times," said (whoever). "I've probably eaten enough to make a whole pillow."

Yes. You read it correctly; RAT-HAIR PILLOW!!!!

I could barely contain my laughter throughout the rest of the test period.

Think about it for just 30 seconds; think about lying your head down on a pillow made of rat hair.

 Better yet, picture yourself eating a pillow made of rat hair.

Now, try to concentrate. On ANYTHING!

Shit! Now that I think about it, I should have noted, on the test, to check if rats have hair or fur.
See? That is copy-editing and how distracting rat-hair pillows can be. 

No comments: