Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Levi should just start sucking wheels now.

I turned that miserable paper the other day. If you are interested in it -- and I don't see why you would want to -- you can check out my previous blog post.

But, today I have nothing to do and all day to do it.

I am in the MUB Computer Cluster and my fellow students are filtering in; looking worried, printing feverishly, sitting with their faces mere inches from the computer screens.
    However, I am watching the Giro and writing in my blog.
Like I said, nothing to do and all day to do it.

I was thinking about cycling-related things this morning though.
  Levi Leipheimer is no Andy Hampstead.

Now, I don't knwo much about cycling history, but I do know that Andy was the only American to win the Giro in 1988 (I think).
    [It is also funny to see an ad, possibly a TREK ad, that shows Contador kissing his Giro trophy and being able to see Hampstead's name amongst an international string of names.]

There have been a lot of reports about how the entire Astana team is riding in support of Leiphiemer. And that Levi is waiting for the Cinque Terre Time Trial. 

It is now that we have to look at Levi's history. I think that it can be accurately summed up briefly: wait for time trial, move up in the GC, suck wheels for the rest of the tour, never attack, give boring post tour interviews.

That's about it. That's how it seems to go.
I understand that if you are a GC contender that you are a marked man and that is very difficult to make killer moves. 

But, look at what Andy Hampstead did; he rode over a giant mountain in the snow! He didn't win the stage but he still rode over a mountain in the snow, which gave him the advantage he needed.       
I don't think that Leiphiemer has that sort of fire in him. I am not talking about "fire" in the sense of physiological/biochemistry make-up. But, the kind of fire that would make some one that would sing "Dude looks like a lady" on the kitchen then do naked kegs stands at a ripping party. 

More important than my opinion is the opinion of the Italian people. 
They are a fiery, excitable nation that ooze passion.  
I think that Leiphiemer should withdraw from his GC contender spot and start sucking wheels and giving boring interviews now.

Leiphiemer just doesn't have the fire to wear the Maglia Rosa. He doesn't have the personality that... well, he just doesn't a personality. Period.

And, if I know the Italians, they won't like that. 

No comments: