Monday, May 18, 2009

Still Stalling and thinking about technology

I watched IRONMAN this weekend with my best friend Tilly. Well, I watched it; she watched half of it. 

And now, I am still thrashing my way through my last literature paper. Oddly enough, it does not deal with any sort of literature. We'll see how much of a train wreck this turns out to be. 

However, in my research and my leisure time I began to think about the cost and consequence of technology.

In the early- and mid-18th century (BAM! Suspensive hyphenation, suckas!) there was a technological shift away from the subsistence farming of the older colonial period toward an urbanized, industrialized society. During this time men began working away from the house in shops, factories and merchant venues. Women no longer need to dedicate long hours to converting fibers into thread, threads into cloth, and cloth into clothes. 

Historians point to this period as a time when the family structure began to mutate into what we commonly think of as traditional male-female roles; women at home, raising children; and, men out in the work place, bringing home an income. 

Technology forced this shift from subsistence farming and fairly equal labor roles in the farming homestead. Women ran the house, men ran the production of the profitable products.

There will be no smooth transition between 18th century gender roles versus technology and IRONMAN, starring Robert Downey, Jr.

Tony Stark, the main character and man made of not-iron, has an army of robots that run his house. He has robots that respond to voice commands and the subsequent snide and snotty sarcasm that he dishes out.

That is technological advancement right there. That is a worthy investment in technology -- a robot that is programmed to understand sarcasm! Brilliant! I would love to see the Honda engineers program ASIMO to understand sarcasm and playboy-style wit instead of being able to perform a task so common as walking down the stairs. I have met some very educated people that failed to understand sarcasm, which is quite pathetic since sarcasm -- while effective in some instances -- is the most base and ignominious form of humor.

There are also scenes in IRONMAN in which as fleet of robotic goo-gaws and appendages dress Tony Stark in his armored suit.  While the movie was very good, it completely rejects the idea that money is an issue. How much would all that cost? There is no sum of money in the world that could make all that possible.

I understand that I am viewing this in a hyper-literal fashion. But, what I was left pondering as Water Ram technology of the 18th century and IRONMAN awkwardly waltzed in my head is, where does all this leave the common man, the 21st-century schlub like you and me?

If the Marvel comic book world of IRONMAN is the direction of technology, and considering the Marxist idea of alienation of increased production [as you produce more for a large company, you become increasingly like a monkey trained to pull your lever and push your button, thereby removing any sort of pride and ownership in your work], how bitter and unsatisfied will we become when all we have is a robot to laugh at our sarcastic commentary of OMG!-style celebrity blog posts? And how long will it take before "LOL", "i heart you" and "muah" replace authentic gust-busting laughter, the actual sentiment of love, and an actual kiss?

Recently, as in the last 24 hours, I have piloted this crippled train of thought from my head to the internet.  I also have thought about deleting my facebook account and not renewing my cell phone when my contract expires. 

But, then who would listen to all these clever things I have to say?

No comments: