Wednesday, September 30, 2009

College life feels sludgey

I had a post all loaded up and ready to go concerning Cadel Evans' well deserved World Championship win but I shelved it because I have nothing new to throw onto the fire.

Yes, he deserves it.
Yes, he finally attacked.
I hope that Silence -Lotto will actually back him up next year in the Grand Tours.

You see? Nothing that hasn't been said already.

Therefore, I will proceed to less pressing matters.

My diet.

This semester started with a bang.
I have been up on campus nearly every morning at 8:00 a.m., with a couple of exceptions mostly coming after late nights at The New Hampshire (UNH's student newspaper).

But with long workdays on campus comes miserably irregular eating patterns that have left me feeling as though I need dialysis. I feel like I am supposed to be running on 10W-40 but instead someone got lazy and put in some cheap 90-weight gear oil.

Oh man... Let me give you an example of my intake lately:

Monday went like this;
Breakfast = ghett-o's (market basket brand cheerios), one banana, 1% milk. {not so bad}
Lunch = Buffalo chicken sub (three fried chicken tenders with Blue cheese dressing with lettuce and tomato on whit bread. {tasty but not so nutritious}
Dinner = tomato soup and grilled cheese. [from Dining hall] {SUCKED, that is not dinner nor is it nutritious AT ALL}

Tuesday:
Breakfast = the usual.
Lunch = one slice pepperoni pizza, luke warm, fresh out from under the warming bulb. {SUCKED, but at least it was something...}
Dinner = maybe...

Wednesday went like this:
Breakfast = the usual
Lunch = "slider" sized cheeseburger and waffle fries. {SUCKED but something is better than nothing.

[ Let me explain to you waffle fries. Like waffles are delicious because there are nooks and crannies for peanut butter and syrup to hide, waffle FRIES are awful for you because there is more volume and surface area for grease to absorb. The label should say "Fat-ass fries".]

Dinner = Barb's (my dear, sweet, tiny, sailor-mouthed mother) Turkey and Black Bean Chili with a scoop of Homemade Macaroni and Chees on top. {Finally, the first REAL thing I hav eaten all week!}

I reflected on all this (except for Wednesfay dinner) as I drove home from school. I thought, "Of all that is good and holy in Oden's beard! No wonder I feel like shit, have been sleeping like shit, and had no energy lately!"

How the hell am I supposed to perform while I pump this sort grog into my body?
Better question, what am I going to do about it?
Fruits and veggies? Good idea. I'll have to get over my phobia of green food stuffs, though.
No more coffee? You got a better chance of seeing God, my friends, before I give up the delicious Brown Serpent!
More sleep? Tell that to my editor, professors and work ethic.


So, it's now Thursday - or it will be by the time you read this.

And I am going to start my day with a cup of coffee, bright and early, frantically work till 1:30 when I run to the MUB Food Court and put a burger on a piece of pizza, eat it on the way to class, then work till 11 p.m. at TNH while eating some combonation of fried food and cookies and then, as your hair shampoo label reads, LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT!

Until the end of the semester, when I will schedule a high-colonic enema, dialysis, angioplasty and a dental cleaning.

1 comment:

Lindsay Rose said...

Oohh Phil, I love your blog :-) My bottle of shampoo actually says "repeat as desired". I'm feeling incredibly drained of energy. I think it's from the lack of decent red meat in this country. I'm dying.