Monday, November 3, 2008

it seems to be fall here too.

this weekend was beautiful, but sadly the weather here is quickly turning in to Autumn. This didnt stop me from riding my ass off this weekend. And just like always, this blog post will be an attempt at brevity, but it will probably fail.

Saturday:
Ascoli to Teramo, on SS81.
Teramo to Guilanova, on SS80.
Guilanova to Maggi on some tiny-ass road.
Then dropped in to a valley, on to Via Fondovalle Salinello, which turns into Via Fosso Purgatorio (not a conicidence that is sounds like 'purgatory'), which turns into Via Colle di Ferro, Via Mediana, then it turns back in to Via Salinello.
Then maybe i went through Borrano or Ponzano or... actually i don't really know b-c i TOTALLY BONKED! i was actually dizzy at one point when i was on a climb of about 10-12%.
I caught a glimpse of a fig tree that had fruit on it (strange for this time of year) and stopped, dropped my bike and scavenged the tree like a hobo looking for a beer can with one last sip of Colt 45 in it. As i got on to Via Salinello, i saw a sign that said 'Civitella, 16km', and thought to myself, already aware of my lack calories, "I bet the last 10km will be up hill."
And wouldn't you know it, the next sign i saw for Civitella said 6.5km, and the road turned up with a vicious pitch! Being right, was never so painful and miserable!
From that point on i was fueled by the desire to not die along the side of the road. Then came the figs, then the descent from Civitella, back to SS81, which goes back to Ascoli.
In the direction i was going the road was all down hill, with spectacular pavement. You can carve your way down the switchbacks at about 25-30 mph. On this section of road you can actually go faster than the cars can. This was the reason for my sickest passing manuever to date, not only here in Italy but anywhere i have ridden.
In order of apperance, there was an old Fiat Panda or something (think old Chevy Colt or Ford Fiesta), a Mercedes SUV, some other sedan then ME. The Panda had his blinker on and was preparing to turn right in to a driveway, so everyone was slowing. I had a clear line of sight through the curve ahead of me, and clearly saw that 100 meters away there was a car coming toward the line of us. I already had it in about my highest gear, so i just jumped on it as hard as i could to pass the three cars in my lane before the oncoming car passed us. After all that, i kept pushing my way down through the corners, so that i didnt look like a chump when the Mercedes caught up to me; turns kept coming up faster and faster, i saw 28mph at the apex of one corner that wasnt quite a switchback.
then when i arrived back in Ascoli, i told myself, "stop at the first pizzeria you see!" but alas, none were open b-c it was about 3:30 or 4pm which is when stores are all still closed.
so when i got home, i didnt even bother to change or shower or anything. I just stood in my kitchen with my shoes and bibs and jersey on, and shoveled food down my gullet.
then i had dinner. then, two hours later, i ate two pieces of pizza. then, at ten pm, i ate 100 grams of pasta with panchetta and pesto.

Sunday:
Ascoli Piceno to Ceppo = 23.9 miles and 4068 total feet of climbing. 'nuff said.
i left Ascoli and headed up the valley to Valle Castellana. then went through V.C., through Morrice, past Pietralta, and on to Ceppo. Ceppo is the highest point on that particular ridgeline.
Barb, this is the drive that we took, when we saw all the herds on goats and sheep!
At Ceppo, i looked at my computer to see my stats; 23.9 miles from my doorstep at 12.67 mph avg pace!
Then came the descent. It started in the shade which immediately induced shivers and chattering teeth. I guess you ask for that when you rip down a descent at 30 mph, coasting, soaked in sweat from a 23 mile climb. you know, just another day at the office.
Anyways, by the time i returned to Valle Castellana the air temperature was much much warmer. so much so, that i didnt need my windvest.
Thank gosh it was mostly downhill from Ceppo b-c, i didnt bonk, but i was out of gas by the time i approached a small climb of about 1km that takes you up to Castel Trosino.

Another oddity of the last couple of days, alot of people must mistake me for someone that knows the area b-c i have been asked for directions 3 times in the last three days.
First on Friday morning; a kid needed to get to the train station. first, he ran passed me, then stopped, turned around in order to ask me where it was. I told him, b-c i generally knew where it was and where he needed to go to get there.
Then, sunday, when i was stuffing cookies in to my mouth just outside of Morrice, a car pulled up beside me. Two ladies asked if i was all set. I said yes, and showed them the cookies which got a laugh out of them. Then they asked me where Macchia Da Sole was. From a previous ride (Vince and Bros), i was able to tell them that the quickest way to get there was to go back to Valle Castellana. Then they asked me what towns were ahead, was Ceppo this way. "Uhh... Io non so. La solo cosa che io so é il mio percorso per oggi. Non sono sicuro." (Uhh, i dont know. the only thing i that i know is my route today. i'm not sure.)
Come to find out, after another 10 miles of climbing, that yes indeed, Ceppo was up ahead.

then last night, when i was walking around like a zombie in order to keep my legs moving, a fellow asked me where Piazza Del Popolo was. We happened to be in Porta Maggiore, which is rather far from the Piazza. I did my best to get him in the general direction, then figured he could ask someone else. like i said, i was occupying a general zombie-like state.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i found that once i was super comfortable in buenos aires, more and more people would ask me for directions, especially the bus routes.